Login
Welcome to LVMOC.net
Saturday, January 20 2018 @ 07:49 AM EST
 Forum Index >  Club >  Chit-Chat
 regular vs premium in vehicles that RECOMMEND premium - such as the Miata
   |  Printable Version
the stig
By: the stig (offline)  Wednesday, January 10 2018 @ 01:45 PM EST (Read 102 times)  
Forum Active Member of LVMOC
Active Member of LVMOC

I don't know if you're familiar with Jason Fenske and his "Engineering Explained" series of videos, but he is excellent at explaining technical aspects of the automobile.

In this video, he explains the difference between using regular or premium in 6 different vehicles that RECOMMEND using premium gas.  A 2015 NC is one of the vehicles.  My NB and the new ND also RECOMMEND premium.  Can't speak for the NAs, but the 1.8 was the same basic engine in the NB, so...

BTW, in my personal experience with my NB, I found that, except in hot weather under load (and then not all the time), my Miata never pinged on regular, so I only used mid-grade gas in the summer and never premium.  In cooler weather, I only used regular.  The negligable difference in fuel economy and power just wasn't worth the difference in price.

Disclaimer:  I like to say that I drive economically.  I rarely accelerate hard and rarely brake hard.  I try to maintain a consistant speed by braking as little as necessary for turns.  I almost always got 30mpg or better, in my 100k mileage NB.  Lateral Gs!

Lateral Gs = Happiness

Profile Email    

Mike C
By: Mike C (offline)  Wednesday, January 10 2018 @ 06:06 PM EST  
Forum WOW I've made over 200 posts!
WOW I've made over 200 posts!

It must be spring.  I hear a little bird singing, "cheap, cheap, cheap."

I'm a big fan of Jason's EE videos, but I'm sticking with premium (91-octane or higher), which is recommended for my NB.

NAs run on 87-octane regular, and that's what I used in mine when I had one.

Mazda engineers designed these engines.  I'll follow their recommendations.  I don't think they recommend premium just for fun, and at 30 mpg the price difference isn't enough to scare me.  Besides, it's a MIATA.  I need all the horsepower I can get!  LOL

This is one of those debates that will go on forever.

2003 Shinsen Version #789, 5MT, 181k miles

Profile Email    

Neil_Tusing
By: Neil_Tusing (offline)  Wednesday, January 10 2018 @ 06:08 PM EST  
Forum Active Member of LVMOC
Active Member of LVMOC

Based on your disclaimer, I'd sell the Miata and look for a nice, used, low mileage Yugo.  Laughing Out Loud  I believe a common belief about the use of premium grade is that they contain more additives, although I'm not aware of any research that supports that.  On another note it appears that the tier of the gasoline has a greater impact than grade.  Lately, I've been by-passing Wawa (the cheapest in my South Jersey area) for one of the brands on the top tier list.  Conoco is the closest to me.  I was surprised to see Costco on the list.  And that last link may be somewhat biased.

Top Tier 1

Top Tier 2

Top Tier 3

Dual Citizenship - LVMOC/Del-Val
Profile Email    

All times are EST. The time is now 07:49 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content